Who we are and how we engage with the world are much stronger predictors of how our children will do than what we know about parenting.Brene Brown
Tensions in the family are often the real source of a child’s difficulties. Treating problems of children is the best way to prevent the development of mental illness.Alfred Adler
Your children require you most of all to love them for who they are, acknowledging their feelings and point of view- not to spend all of your precious time together trying to correct them.Christina Grandy
Empathy on the Level, at their Level
Sometimes, children develop problematic coping mechanisms in a misguided attempt to get their needs met. If a child, for example, learns at age 4, that it is not okay to express angry feelings, she may keep her anger in to avoid rejection. As a result, she may project her anger onto others later or have tantrums. She may become shy and withdrawn, develop headaches or stomachaches, become hyperactive, wet the bed, or experience nightmares. By age 9, these behaviors can become default ways of handling stress, diminishing her expression and sense of self.
When Christina works with a child:
- She creates a therapeutic environment that is experienced as a safe play zone
- Her ability to be authentic and congruent allows her young client to engage with her on a deep level.
- She carefully attunes to the child as he or she explores the issues, past and current, implicit and explicit, that are affecting the child’s life in the present.
- Christina teaches her clients different strategies of regulating their emotions. Each child is free to express his or her full range of feelings, so that he or she can learn to process and integrate challenging, internal states.
- With Christina’s guidance, the child’s expression of self strengthens; the child’s sense of self expands. The child’s symptoms of anxiety, depression, hyperactivity, etc. diminish.
Following are some of the child counseling methods she uses in her practice:
- Synergetic Play Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy w/Exposure Therapy
- Sandplay Therapy
- EMDR-Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing
- Depth Psychology
- Expressive Arts Therapy
- Mindfulness Practice
- Collaborative Problem Solving
- Gestalt Child Therapy (Violet Oaklander)
- Equine-Guided Self-Discovery
To schedule a free introductory 15-minute Child Counseling session by phone or to make an appointment, email Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 310-614-9922.